Excerpt from article by Lauren Kallenbach. Full article on Greenwala's website here.
When you’re visiting this outdoorsy resort, green programs may be the last things on your mind. Focus instead on saying “I love you” (during winter) in these ways:
- Lounge in your luxurious, mountain-style room or woodsy log cabin. Many have private fireplaces, decks and breath-taking views of the Continental Divide.
- Snuggle under all-natural down comforters on your ergonomically correct mattress.
- Explore more than 65 miles of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing on groomed trails at the Devil’s Thumb Ranch Nordic Center.
- Steal some time together in the Ranch Creek Spa with the Bonnie and Clyde couple’s massage. (Spa products are all natural and nourishing to the skin at high altitudes.)
- Take a horse-drawn sleigh ride across the 5,000-acre property to dinner.
- Enjoy a gourmet dinner at the Ranch House Restaurant and Saloon, in an original log cabin. The food is organic and local; 85 percent of the restaurant’s meat and game comes from Colorado producers.
- Book an intimate private dinner in John L’s Wine Cellar (its entryway is a giant wine barrel constructed of recycled cherry wood). Pop a cork and pop the question!
- Stargaze from the outdoor hot tub.
- Limber up together with yoga class. The studio has mind-clearing mountain views.
- Challenge each other to a game of checkers in the Game Room.
- Snowshoe under the full moon along any of the groomed paths. Not there during full moon? About 2.5 miles of pathways are lit, including those between cabins and the dining areas and activity centers.
- Cuddle in front of the fireplace (built of stone from mountain rock slides) in your room or private cabin. The chimneys are EPA-certified to emit 60 percent less smoke pollution.
- Watch a film in the 37-seat movie theater in the Main Lodge.
- Race each other down the sledding hill or twirl on the outdoor ice-skating rink.
- Get married. Devil’s Thumb is an incredible winter or summer wedding venue. Your wedding party can enjoy a romantic getaway, complete with horseback riding or sleighing, skiing or hiking, and rejuvenating spa treatments.